Thursday, June 6, 2013

Day Twenty-Three:

Day 23: Favorite Book

AHHHHHH! Another one of these that I couldn't possibly narrow down to just one. One favorite book?? ONE??

So I'll leave you with TOP 5 (and you should know that this top 5 changes often so this is really just TOP 5 for June 2013).

1. Wild, by Cheryl Strayed


If you have not read this book, then go, run, NOW and get it. From your Library, Bookstore, or friend. I guarantee it will change you. Some thought it a bit difficult to read (difficult meaning emotional, gruesome, morbid, sad), and, yes, there are difficult parts, but you reap the rewards of getting through it when you get to the end. Trust me. I was a mess when I finished this book. So great!! In fact just talking about it has made me want to go re-read it.

2. The Four Agreements, by Don Miguel Ruiz


This book helped me change my perspective on life and many of the elements in life that serve to confuse or frustrate or degrade you. It's lofty and philosophical but also very uplifting. I recommend highly. Then you can follow with the other books related to this one including The Voice of Knowledge, The Mastery of Love and various others.


3. The Kite Runner & 10,000 Splendid Suns (Tied)
 Both of these books are incredibly well written and moving. The setting and culture is so foreign and yet the emotion and humanity of the stories are universal. They are both incredible reads.

4. The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch

This book is wonderful. Uplifting, yes, but also thought provoking. From someone who is at the end of his life, looking back on what really matters most. Yea, okay. It made me cry. I'm not the only one. Geeeez, I'm tearing up just writing about it.

5. Make the Impossible Possible, Bill Strickland


I like this book because it's about an art school/trades school in Pittsburgh that I actually attended. The man who started this school overcame so many obstacles in order to make this place a success, not only for him but for his community. It's a story of perseverance and hard work and is inspiring to anyone who wants to tear down those walls of defeat and naysaying.


No comments:

Post a Comment