Friday, May 17, 2013

Day Fourteen:


Day 14: A picture of you last year - how have you changed?


Obligatory bluebonnet pictures
April 2012

This picture was taken a little over a year ago. I was on the way back from my bridal shower in my hometown of Austin, Texas. Of course we had to pull over to take blue bonnet pics when we saw a patch that seemed worthy of a pic. 

A year ago I was about to get married. I was going through all the frenzied preparation for that big day. I was living in Pittsburgh but commuting often back to Texas for wedding activities, other friend' weddings, and family stuff. It was exhausting. At this point in my life I was so caught up in wedding planning that I don't think I was as focused on me and just enjoying all the little moments. It felt like a blur and I think it made me realize that I needed to work on being more present and in the moment in every step of my life. During this picture moment, all I kept thinking about was where we had to be next, if we were going to be late, if I needed to keep my dress from getting dirty. Looking back, however, this moment was where I should've been most present. Just me and my mom, taking pictures in the flowers off the side of the road. Very few showers or parties or get togethers can beat that.  

This past year has had its ups and downs and its challenges, but it has also made me very aware and for that I am so grateful. I work on it every day. Just today I went outside to eat my lunch on the back deck of my parent's house. I let the dog and cats out and together we just sat, listening to the birds and the tree leaves blowing in the wind and the sound of trickling water from the fountain. At that moment I was so content. I watched a hummingbird flitting from flower to flower and was amazed at its tiny size and bright, beautiful colors. I watched a deer trot through the woods, trying to remain unseen. I watched my animals prowling around, sniffing the air, looking up and down, truly being present with their surroundings. I sat and sighed. I am here in this moment now and don't want to think about anything else on my to-do list, my to-call list, my goals list, or my worry list. I just loved being there and at that moment, just being part of today, and I realized how far I have come from a year ago. 

Be present. Be mindful. Take in your surroundings and forget about the to-do list for a portion of your day. The to-do list will always be there. These moments, though, they are fleeting and it's up to you to take them in, keep them, hold them and enjoy them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment